Saturday, September 18, 2010

Blog Updates -- Strategic Planning

I've added a section on links to websites that I find interesting in my profession of strategic planning.  The first link is to some pretty basic strategic planning 101. This next week, I'll be attending a two-day seminar on strategic thinking for leadership development. I was actually hoping for something more in-depth on strategic planning, but this is a good start. 

I have learned some interesting things about strategic planning over my 18 years as a strategic planner. We started out using the SWOT test which outlines the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats to an organization. Today we are using environmental scanning to "scan the periphery" of an organization to see what is happening in the STEEP environment.  STEEP stands for social, technological, environmental, economic, and political realms. These are factors that may seem unrelated today to an organization's business, but over time could have significant impact on how an organization does business. 

I'm actually looking for cutting edge theory about the strategic planning process. I suspect there is so much more out there that I do not know yet and I am searching for the latest and greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment